Monday, March 21, 2005

Fright Ride


Came in to work with a white face today. Nope, not power whitening mask. Reckless taxi driver, yeah.

Everything went well until we (me and the taxi uncle) saw the "signboard" before Tampines Road that says " Accident near Punggol exit, Massive Jam, Exit at Tampines Road".

Damn. Accident again. Always got accidents on Monday mornings one leh. So many kayu drivers in Singapore sia.

I suggested to the taxi uncle to take the route from Hougang by the Tampines Road exit instead. Which idiot would wanna be stuck in a jam?

"Oh, u in hurry ah?" Uncle asked.

"Yah, yah" I answered.

Bo liao question followed by a bo liao answer. Of coz I in hurry lah! If not I take taxi for wat???Assuming I am one of those pple who has too much money to throw down the drain and is taking a taxi although not in hurry, who would wanna get stuck in a traffic jam, where vehicles jerk every 30secs after moving 30cm and braking??? Will puke leh! Siao ah?

Okie. Nvm. I'm a nice gal, so will forgive uncle. Little did I know dat my reply sparkled off the "woohoo-finally-i- can-put-my-racing-skills-to-test" in uncle.

The next 5 mins was spent whisking his taxi in between vehicles in on relatively crowded road. Our taxi was practically only 10 cm apart from any vehicle. One time, he even went hot on heels on one motorcycle, almost touching his butt. Poor motorcyclist. My blood pressure was taken on a roller coaster ride. Tried to calm myself down till I saw the speedo-meter-- 100km/hr. I dun believe it. This speed on normal roads? That's the speed limit for expressways (extreme right lane) right? Correct me if I'm wrong, coz I passsed my basic theory like 5 years ago.

This uncle is absolutely crazy!!! Road hazard sia. For a moment I felt so guilty as an accomplice. Shdn't have said I was in a hurry at all.

Terror was not over.

We stopped at a traffic light and uncle was narrating a story where a couple tried to complain about him.

"Dat time ah, I was fetching a couple from Woodlands to KK hospital, den the wife was in pain, i thot she giving birth soon, so I just all the way ah! Whoa, took only 15mins and they complain of me dangerous driving ah. I where got dangerous? They in hurry mah. I am a PERFECT driver. More than 30 years of drving experience. I can even use my left hand to control the steering wheel and use my right hand to change gear ah! See, see..."

With this, he DEMOSTRATED how to use his right hand to change the gear! And left the steering wheel dangling there! He did this while we were moving on the road! Aaaaaahhhhhh......... Uncle uncle! I believe u, I believe you. No need to demo can? Smart lah, smart lah! God. My heart was in my mouth.

All I had in my mind was,

"Die lah, kena accident den I gotta be witness issit?"
"How to be witness hah?"
"To say the truth or not?"
"Will crazy uncle terrorize me if I told the truth?"
"Will I get police protection not?"
"Will the police officer protecting me be handsome not?"
"If got protection means cannot go home lah?"
"Aiyah! Forget to buy Rara's food! Die lah, under police protection can go out and buy rabbit food not?"
"Damn! The can of Pringles I kept in my cupboard! Sure saye khor!"

I tink too much again.

Thanking my lucky stars, I landed in Wonderland in ONE piece.

The government should do something about road hazards like this one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Take taxi again hor ..... Remember? Taxi fares are silent killers.