Saturday, February 05, 2005
AAS #001: Something About You
Welcome to this very first issue on Aunt Aggie Says (AAS), published on every first Saturday/Sunday of the month.
Here, I share my opinions on BGR. Very often, I play the role of "Aunt Aggie" to people around me, like colleagues, friends and family. Don't ask me why. I am intrigued too. I am a greenhorn when it comes to relationships, simply cannot stand sobbing gals and wishy-washy guys. Thus, to counter the increasing amount of people coming to me for advice, I decided to create a "Aunt Aggie Says" column, where I would give opinions and advice on common BGR problems. Hopefully this will help!
Without further ado (I know you are excited), I shall begin.
I always tell myself that things happen for a reason. And that songs were not written out of nowhere too. I don't know if you guys and gals have heard of this song, "Something About You" by Five for Fighting.
The chorus goes like this:
Baby there's something about you that
I can hold on to
I'm going to hold on to that
If I interpret it correctly, it means that there is always this something about your special someone that made you hold on, despite the fact that sometimes it strikes you that he or she is not and will not be someone you could walk hand in hand with, for the rest of your life.
I have heard of many cases of people hanging on, even after their their boyfriends or girlfriends cheated on them, abuse them physically or verbally, stood them up and etc, numerous times. And some eventually marry them! Why? Why? Why? Each time it happened, gals would cry and guys would get dead drunk, then they tell themselves and everyone else that THIS time its REALLY going to be OVER and guess wat? They appear at weekend gatherings together with their partners, ever so lovey-dovey again!
I always tell myself that courtship is merely means that both parties are just "trying things out" and if either one finds that something is simply so wrong (it has to be wrong because if it was right it wouldn't have hurt you so many times), he or she could just walk out.
Yah yah, its so damn easy for me to say, because I haven't been through it. Its just so hard when you're in it. All those good times you shared, all those sweet things he or she has done for you, all those times where he or she would cry and beg you to stay, and tell you how much he or she regretted what they've done. Please! These are all bullshit!
Notice that I used the PAST tense? "shared", "done", "would"? Its all past, get over it! Besides, the fact that it was the "nth" time it happened only means that your boyfriend or girlfriend do not treasure and remisice the good and sweet times like you do. If not, they would have thought twice before repeating it. They know its going to hurt you. Regrets are meant to be taken as learning lessons. The fact that one could regret the same thing over and over again only means that the regret is not painful enough for them to remember. Ha! So the conclusion is, boys and girls, its been a one-man or one-woman show all along.
Number 1 Piece of advice(POA) from Aunt Aggie's Manual(AAM): Its takes 2 hands to clap.
Things are not going to work out if you are the only one really working on the relationship. Its ABOUT the 2 of you. Its going be only a matter of time before you cannot take the strain and give up.
Yes yes yes, you LOVE him or her and you can't live without him or her.
Number 2 POA from AAM: Love, like everything else in this world, is NOT ETERNAL. It transforms into committment, habits (many couples become used to each other), and companionship.
Number 3 POA from AAM: Death will come to nobody just because he or she has lost a loved one. This world is so filled with love, romantic, motherly, fatherly, brotherly, sisterly, love between friends, love for pets, blah blah. Everyone loves someone or something! And everyone or everything dies eventually. So, if someone is SO going to die because someone they love dies, then humans might have been exterminated 200 million years ago.
I am not trying to say that one should walk out of a relationship once he or she felt that something is wrong. The above advice is meant for people who are holding on to a relationship in which he or she has tolerated TOO MANY a times the SAME problem, and this problem has affected them SO much that it was MORE than ONCE it triggered off the "break up" word.
Wrong things happen for a reason too! Many relationships are strengthened because couples are able to make wrong things right.
Number 4 POA from AAM: Nothing's perfect in this world. No one's perfect too. Its just whether you are willing to accept the imperfectness in him or her.
Clause: All opinions and statements made here are highly subjective. Aunt Aggie is not legally liable for any advice taken too seriously.
1 comment:
Wow, Aunt Aggie. U really sound professionnal man! Will take note and spread ur POA around my friends....
Post a Comment